Thursday, November 3, 2011

~Home Sweet Home~






My Truth Sistas! 



Hello all,

So far I am having a great time in NYC. My roommates and I have been getting along well. I think we definitely are a success story compared to the numerous "horrible" tales of past roommates. I think the fact that we live in a smaller apartment allows us to bond with one another. I am very thankful that they are so sweet and kind..( I cannot even express how thankful I am to have them in my life). So far we have gone on little adventures to Coney Island, the Chelsea Goodwill, Penn Station, Central Park, and Time Square...I can't believe I have lived here for two months and yet I still haven't seen the whole island of Manhattan!


There is definitely a significant climate change here in the city. I realized the skyscrapers actually help to block the wind. I live on the intersection of 34th street and 5th avenue. So when I turn the corner onto 5th I suddenly feel a gust a wind that was not there initially. Basically what I am saying is that the temperature in the city varies slightly because of these huge buildings. The weather has not gotten too cold (yet)
BUT it snowed on Saturday! This was a surprise since I had never seen snow in October. Now, I can say that I have.


On a side note, I am attaching an essay I wrote for class titled "Home Sweet Home" I wrote this from some past memories..so enjoy! :)
(BTW I was not allowed to use any adjectives or adverbs)



A morning in Texas begins as sunlight shines through my window. Bacon sizzles in a pan. My mother paces throughout the kitchen. She searches for ingredients. My siblings awake from slumber. They tumble into the kitchen. My family of eight begins chattering. They  speak about the dreams, they have just experienced. I watch this procession of the morning and find satisfaction in our routine. More than a habitat, my home includes my house, my relatives, and my place of belonging.
I find familiarity in Texas. The people, shops and food all make up the richness of life. The people I love are the ones who have connected with me on a deeper level than most. They include my siblings and my best friends. Although my sisters and I enjoy each others presence, we do not always get along. The fights are short and we manage to love again by the end of the day. My best friends understand my needs. We pray, laugh, and eat with one another. We go shopping together. The shops in our area are quaint. They shelve items that are unique. They sell soap filled with cash and gear associated with the football team. The green and white colors of our school reign in the shop. The football team recently won the championship. Their victory makes history for our town. Of course, within weeks the town announced a parade with floats and food. I enjoy the hamburgers made by hand. They are crisp and topped with lettuce, tomato, and onion. The burger is served with a glass of coke. As I sip the coke, the sting on my tongue reminds me of home.
I will always remember my home in Texas. The warmth of summer and the coolness of night all year round etched in my mind the natural progression of a season. My mother yells at my brothers, "settle down up there" and "Don't make me come up there." My sister's babbles, breaking all silence in the room. She speaks of nothing important, only releasing sounds of her voice. My father cooks the the meal on Sundays, coming ingredients such as orange peels and sausage. We ask, "Is this orange or something?" He does not reply, so we make our own judgment. We ride to church singing " Joyful, joyful Lord we adore thee" and dance along with it, Often, we engage in conversations intent on defining our culture. "Let's watch Roots!" my father suggests. We change the topic as fast as we can. Most importantly, I find comfort in my mother who defines a woman of strong will. She is my aid throughout all my battles. She wars for my life. My life I owe to her. The significance of my home contains all these elements.
Eventually, I will begin my own household. It will encompass past and present fragments of my upbringing. My own children will hear the yelling of a mother. They will smell bacon on the stove. We will sing together in the car and dance to the beat. They will inquire a father who makes dinner. We will discuss heritage because everyone needs the history of their people. Lastly, I will comfort them through the darkest of nights. My home will become their home.

That's all! I Hope it impacts you in a positive way. 


2 comments: