Friday, June 14, 2013

Historical Sites

Dead Sea

Thank you to all who supported me on this trip to Israel. I enjoyed my stay in Israel and the many historical sites. Israel has such a rich history and it was great experiencing these things first hand. The historical sites included The Masada Fortress, The Old City of David, and Jacob's Well. 

Herod originally built the Masada Fortress. It still stands tall in the Judean desert. I think the fortress was a great example of preserved architecture in Israel. The structures were apart of the original design, so I was able to imagine the great fortress that once housed Herod the Great. My favorite part about the experience was looking down into the valleys with awe! The echo within the valley was incredible, the whole team yelled down into the valley to hear our echoes reply back. I just loved the beautiful landscape. The desert can be a beautiful place besides the heat and extreme lack of shade.

Wailing Wall and Dome of the Rock
The Old City of David essentially became Jerusalem. David ruled as King over the city. My favorite part about walking throughout the city walls was the architectures that lay beneath the present structures. Jerusalem is a historical city that is constantly filled with excavations of historical sites. For instance, I walked beneath the streets in an old passageway that helped refugees escape the ancient city. The journey led us to the Pool of Siloam, which was something that I was looking forward to seeing upon my visit to Israel. This pool reminded me of the blind man that was healed in that exact place because of his faith. Jesus instructed him to walk to the pool of Siloam to receive his healing and he did just that! I would love to have an experience that opens my eyes to see the light. After that, our journey ended up at the Temple Mount. The gigantic stones that were torn down from the temple walls definitely characterized the enemies that the Israelites had to deal with in the land. I did not imagine the Temple ruins to be lying right outside The Temple Mount just as it was a thousand years ago. They used no effort in removing these huge rocks because it symbolized the destruction of their beloved temple. 

 
Jacob's Well was located in Shechem or modern day Nablus in the West Bank. This was a surprise experience for me because I did not expect to see the actual well belonging to Jacob. Jacob’s well, similar to many other historical sites, was located within an orthodox church. Since Israel is the holy land many people travel to these churches for the exact same reason that I did. The experience was incredible because it really hit me that I was in Israel, a place where so many historical figures lived their lives.   


 Check out Flickr pictures here!
Masada


No comments:

Post a Comment